T: 020 8568 0010 |

Club History

Club History

Grasshoppers Rugby Football Club was founded in 1950 made up of 6 rugby players (founders), 3 college students and 11 novices and trained on Ealing Common.

In 1956 Grasshoppers RFC opened their first ground just off Greenford Avenue but had to leave in 1959 due to vandalism to the pitch and clubhouse. From 1960 to 1975, Grasshoppers RFC were based at the Dysart Arms in Richmond and used 3 pitches in Richmond Park.

These facts have been taken from a short historical piece, written by Grasshoppers RFC President and Founder Member, Fred Hallows. It is interesting to note that the piece refers to Grasshoppers, back in 1960, ‘realising that the future of the club depended on developing good young players’ and in that year the first Colts team was formed.

The same realisation is true today.

During the 1973/4 season Grasshoppers were asked to leave the Dysart Arms as the club had become too big to accommodate the 5 senior teams and Colts team so in 1974 Grasshoppers moved again, into the Pyrene Club at Wood Lane in Osterley.

1987 is one of the defining years in Grasshoppers history when we moved into our permanent home at Macfarlane Lane in Osterley. Since 1987, we've hosted a number of other sports including Golf, Netball Archery and Rugby League.

In 1990, our Netball section moved in permanently and became an official part of the Club.

In the 2003/2004 season, we started our Mini and Junior rugby sections, which continue to go from strength to strength and during this time we've also introduced Girls contact and Ladies Tag rugby. Nearly half of our 1st XV have come through our junior ranks.

In the 2009/2010 season, Grasshoppers RFC confirmed their status as a flagship rugby club by becoming the first in the London & South East region, and the third in England, to receive the RFU's Whole Club Seal of Approval. The award recognises outstanding effort and achievements by volunteers in achieving high standards of developing and sustaining rugby union at their club. The new Whole Club accreditation demands evidence of good practice in areas including club management, player development and recruitment, child protection, sports equity, coaching and refereeing, as well as the recruitment and management of volunteers.

We are also proud to be the home of Greenwood Osterley Archers, also established in 1987, and we are proud of the relationship we have with them.

Since 1987 and our time at Macfarlane Lane, the Club is a limited company with five members of staff. We remain Amateur in status but have a professional attitude both on and off the pitch. We continue to strive to be the best from the youngest to our oldest players and members and from seeing the first foundation laid, we now have one of the best facilities in West London and the County.

However, one thing at Grasshoppers hasn't changed and will never change – the commitment, enthusiasm, dedication and generosity of our members. Without whom the Club would not and could not exist.

Fortis in Animo!!

RFU Accredited Club